Saturday, April 16, 2011

N Is for Never Never Land

Have you noticed how enticing a blank piece of paper or text block can be? That is, on the days your writing muse is with you and your fingers ache to get information out to the world. That same empty space thwarts you on the days ideas just won't come or real life invades your ability to be creative.

Once I begin typing, I am in another world. I am in Never Never Land--well, the writer's version of it anyway. It's the same sort of feeling I get when I am reading a good book. I can block out the rest of the world and concentrate solely on words, thoughts and ideas.

Have you ever gotten to the end of an article, blog entry or other writing project and wondered where exactly did all that come from? I am amazed at times as to what has flowed from my brain to my fingers. It's like when you're driving a familiar route, and get to Point B from Point A but don't remember the drive between the two.

Maybe it's being in the writer's zone; maybe it's the writer's Never Never Land--whatever it is, it would be difficult to describe to anyone who isn't a writer. I can't imagine I am alone in this experience; does it happen to you, too?

7 comments:

  1. wow, I wish I felt about writing like you do, it would make the work easier. I think true writers are what you described and what you undoubtedly are. I'm glad for challenge to come across the blog.

    Pam
    Pirate Knitting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being in the zone - and yes, I experience the same thing. Sometimes I sit and re-read something I've written and wonder, "Where did THIS come from?" It's a most magical feeling.

    Great post! Hopping over from A-Z. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Pbquig: I'll confess that when I'm in my "perfectionist" mode, writing seems more of a chore than a joy. I hope as time moves forward, you're able to find joy in your writing, too.

    @Alison Miller: Ah, I'm so glad to know others experience the same feeling from time to time. At least I know I don't have to be concerned about my mental health. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of this place and even been there once or twice in the past and I hope to visit again soon! ;P

    -MJ fellow A-Z blogger

    ReplyDelete
  5. every time - wonderful place to be - and some days the bonus is a wow did I write that moment - I enjoy writing as much as I enjoy reading but maybe my name is Peter pan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @alberta ross: Nice to meet you, Peter!

    ReplyDelete