Friday, December 16, 2011

Obama Backs Off on Veto Promise

President Barack Obama had promised to veto the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 -- that is until wording in some statutes were changed. I thought the president and I and many other concerned Americans were on the same page on this issue.

I thought the president's concern was about the wording addressing the indefinite detention of American citizens by the military in the absence of charges or a trial. Turns out that wording doesn't bother the man who is also a constitutional lawyer. It was other wording, wording that the Commander-in-Chief felt threatened the Oval Office's powers to deal with terrorists.

Despite the president's change of heart in using his veto power on the Congressionally-approved NDAA, I have still written the White House with my concerns about what I see as provisions that place American civil liberties at risk.

Don't take my word for what this legislation entails. Read Glenn Greenwald of Salon.com who details the three myths about indefinite detention of American citizens on U.S. soil.

Where do you stand on this issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment