Sunday, December 25, 2011

FDA Backs Off On Preventing Antibiotic Use In Animals for Human Consumption

As an American citizen, I'd like to believe that governmental agencies are working for the best interests of myself and millions of other Americans just like me. When I read information such as the fact that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has reversed its stand on disapproving the use of antibiotics in food-producing animals, I have to wonder just who is being protected and why.

Just a year and a half ago, the FDA took the stance that it would act on withdrawing its approval of the use of antibiotics in these animals because of the preponderance of evidence available that this use of medications is creating antibiotic-resistant organisms in the meat that is then passed to humans.

I have to think that big-money interests have influenced the decision of the FDA on this matter -- and that idea is repugnant to me. Without the FDA providing replicated scientific studies that refute the fact that the use of antibiotics in animals is not detrimental to the health of humans, I cannot think of any other plausible reason for this federal agency back-pedaling on this issue.

I may not have all the facts, so I'd like to know your thoughts on this issue. Do you have strong feelings on the use of antibiotics in animals in our food supply or is this a non-issue for you?

2 comments:

  1. I am unaware of what is happening on this. I thoroughly abhor the use of antibiotics in animals for human consumption.
    I don't even like feeding cattle grain, preferring only grass-fed; except the cost is so high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anthony, I thought the FDA had consumers covered on this issue until this recent notification (December 23) otherwise. It's time to write letters and let elected officials know this is important to us.

    ReplyDelete